Sunday, February 10, 2013

I'm baaaccccck!!

Back from a super LONGGG business trip to Europe.  Most of my friends are like "whatev" abd I will grant you I am blessed to be able to travel like this for business but it is super exhausting!

Want a recap??

Sunday - Depart Atlanta 10:55 pm.  Plane was more than half empty (probably due to flying during Superbowl Sunday) so I got a section of three seats all to my lonesome - fist pump!! 

Monday - Land, meet a co-worker who had never been to London at Heathrow and navigate to the Hotel (Hilton Metropole).  Once there - I had visions of a nap, and hitting the gym before the kickoff of my business event.  Guilt got the better of me and I phoned up said co-worker and asked if he wanted me to show him around.  I have spent a lot of time here working....amazingly have never once been here on vacation.

We headed off in the tube to see Parliment, Big Ben (ok, I know it is the name of the dang bell but I can never remember the name of the tower so deal anyone who knows London...),

Parliment and Big Ben



Westminster Abbey



Since I was playing tour guide, I HAD to take him to my favorite place...I LOVE this church and come here every time I am in town. The history is amazing (founded in 960 for crying out loud!!) and I learn something new everytime I come here.  Every coronation of a monarch since 1066 has been conducted here starting with William the Conqueror in 1066, the most recent was that of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953(sorry - history nerd...ackward!).  Elizabether I, Mary Queen of Scots, King Edward the 1st through the 6th, Anne of Cleves, and King Henry 3rd, 5th and 7th are interred here.  Not to mention, Princess Diana's funeral was conducted here and William and Kate were married here.  Anyhoo - I could go on and on....but I will control my enthusiasm...

After touring the church, we headed over to see the Tower of London, and Tower Bridge. 





It was FREEZING and our feet were falling off so we spotted what looked like an enclosed rooftop bay on top of the Doubletree so we beelined for it!



What am amazing view - we had a quick snack and a glass of wine, rested our feet then realized we had to be at the event in hour hour!  Ruh Roh!!    Raced back to the hotel, freshened up and headed over to the Landmark Hotel where the event was held. The cocktail reception lasted til 9:30 or so then we headed over to Briciole for dinner.


Wish I would have taken pictures of our meals - it was amazing but I didnt want to look like a freakazoid....An all male table probably would not have understood blogging about a meal and I didnt feel like explaining!  They make their own bread, cheese and pasta and it was an amazing dinner.

By the time the day was over - it was 1:30 and I was cooked!!

I will post the rest of the trip later....my elliptical is calling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment